Wednesday, January 4, 2012

ONE MORE WEEK!!!!!

I still cannot believe it that I will be leaving for the UK in a week! This break has flown by, but I couldn't be more excited. As the days pass by, I have gotten more and more things ready. So far I have accomplished:
  • Unlocking an old iPhone to use a British sim card
  • Getting a backpack, outlet adapters, and a chunk of £££ (Thanks Mom and Dad!)
  • Buying a dual voltage/universal straightener, hair dryer, and surge protector
  • Ordering my ISIC and Oyster Card
And what I have yet to do:
  • Book my return flight
  • Pack
  • Get a Travelex card to load on uber amounts of £££ and €€€ (I know how to make those symbols thanks to Laina!)
  • Pack, Pack, Pack
Figuring out how to pack is going to be a huge struggle. I have to be able to pack the next 3 1/2 months into 2 suitcases and still manage to have space/weight for everything I know I am going to buy. Before I leave, I will post some photos of my attempted packing process... I usually severely procrastinate. We will see how that goes.

As I mentioned in my first post, one of the reasons I chose the UK is that there would not be too much of a language barrier. Even though the US and UK are both English speaking countries, I have learned that at times, they can seem like two completely different languages. Here are a few examples:
  • Bobby = policeman
  • Mate = friend
  • All right? = Hello, how are you?
And a few fun ones:
  • Arseholed = drunk
  • Blow me = said in a state of surprise... and not in that way
  • Knock up = wake someone up
Some of them are definitely amusing. If you would like to know more, they can be found here.

I will post again next week before I leave with my packing process!

1 comment:

  1. That's the same website I looked at for slang! some things weren't on the list though (aubergine=eggplant), and others i think were more from specific reasons. For example, I'm pretty sure you're alright saying "excuse me" when you need to pass by someone. :) Anyways, good luck packing and enjoy London!

    ReplyDelete